We all would have suffered some time or other a bout of sneezing but in few cases, it may cause discomfort and affect the quality of life. In fact as per WHO affects about 20% of the world’s population.
Allergic Rhinitis, as the name suggests is a sensitive reaction of the immune system to the general allergens present in the surroundings. It is characterized by sneezing with or without discharge and itching inside the nose on exposure to allergen. In some it may even lead to asthmatic attack or allergic dermatitis.
How do You Get Rid of Allergic Rhinitis (Hay Fever)?
It is an immune mediated allergic reaction with the prime culprit being IgE antibodies which is associated with release of histamine, the chemical associated with inflammation. The allergens are usually found commonly in atmosphere like pollen, animal dander, dust mite, mold, aerosols, smoke and pollution from industries and automobiles, etc. In some mild change in temperature, or sudden exposure to bright light/intense sun light may trigger the reaction. It may be seasonal – limited to one season mostly when pollen are released and also known as hay fever or may be perennial in which the symptoms persist throughout the year.
Symptoms of Allergic Rhinitis are:
- Sneezing which is spasmodic
- Clear, watery nasal discharge
- Nasal irritation
- Sensation of obstruction of nose or stuffy nose
- Nasal congestion
Besides these common symptoms some may also have itching, swelling and watering of eyes (allergic conjunctivitis). As stated earlier in some it may also lead to allergic dermatitis of skin or may trigger asthmatic attack.
Homeopathy Treatment for Allergic Rhinitis:
Homeopathy gives a good solution to allergic rhinitis. It’s medications are selected based on the constitution of the person i.e. by assessing the person’s mental, physical, emotional, social symptoms. The medicines not only help in alleviating the symptoms at the time of episode but also helps to reduce the hypersensitive reaction of the immune system thereby improving the quality of life and reducing allergic rhinitis. Some of the important medications which can help in allergic rhinitis are:
- ArsenicumAlbum : It is one of an important remedy for Allergic rhinitis. There are usually lean, thin people who are mentally and physically anxious and restless. The eyes burn and water, similarly the nose has a clear, watery discharge yet has a sensation of stoppage. Spasmodic sneezing without relief. All discharges are acrid in nature. They have a great thirst but drink little sips of water. Symptoms aggravate in wet weather, after mid night and from intake of cold food or drinks.
- ArsenicumIodum: The discharges are all acrid, fetid and watery. The mucus membranes are red and angry looking and sore. There is a constant desire to sneeze.
- Allium Cepa: One of the specific remedies for hay fever. The symptoms are aggravated by warmth, are worse in warm room and in evening. Cold, damp weather cause “cold” type symptoms. The eyes burn, and smart, the discharge is bland. The discharge from nose is acrid and excoriating. Sneezing when enter in warm room.
- Psorinum: A good remedy for perennial rhinitis. Takes cold easily, must blow his nose all the time. The discharge from nose is thick, crusty and yellow. There are extremely sensitive to cold.
- Sabadilla: A another remedy which is of great use in allergic rhinitis. There is continuous, deep, spasmodic sneezing with profuse watery discharge and headache especially in frontal region. Very sensitive to cold air, least exposure cause coryza type symptoms.
- Silicea: Chilly patients, cannot tolerate cold. Itching of the nose with sneezing early morning. Stuffy nose with lose of smell. Perspiration of palms and soles.